Installation of Windows 8 to USB thumbdrive: This version fixes problems with non-functional Windows Update and inability to create System Restore Points.
- FlashBoot now supports conversion of Windows Vista/7/8 installation DVD to USB thumbdrive with NTFS filesystem. This feature is useful for customized DVDs with 4Gb+ \sources\install.wim file.
- Volume labels with whitespaces no more cause 'invalid parameter' error for NTFS formatting.
FlashBoot now turns off swap file (in registry settings) when installing Windows 8 to USB.
- FlashBoot now supports installation of fully-functional Windows 8 to USB (so you can carry your OS, your apps, your documents, your browser in the pocket, run it in public library, in internet-cafe, work-from-home etc).
- Full version of FlashBoot now can upgrade USB thumbdrive or USB HDD formatted in the demo version (no full reformatting required anymore).
- GUI version of FlashBoot now can dump non-VFAT USB thumdrives to image files in RAW mode.
- Abandoned version of NT password editor (taken from old version of EBCD) was excluded from FlashBoot to reduce size of downloadable file.
- Retail price was permanently decreased by 10 EUR.
Fixed a bug in UTF-16 conversion code (special case for surrogate characters).
FlashBoot NT password editor: Fixed shared library loading error (which occured when mounting NTFS partitions).
FlashBoot now runs on Windows 8 (Consumer Preview).
A bug in UDF Unicode filename conversion code was fixed. Windows 7 and Windows Vista DVD discs and ISO files should work as expected now (some of them were not recognized by FlashBoot 2.1d-2.1n).
On January, 13 of 2012 we were running a promotion so FlashBoot was available with 50% discount via Bits du Jour.
FlashBoot now can read its license key file from My Documents. This is for users who run FlashBoot on Windows 7 or Windows Vista with UAC enabled (and Program Files is not writable). Name of FlashBoot license key file should be either "flashboot_license_key.xml" or "license_key.xml". FlashBoot still recognizes license key file in its installation folder.
Size of FlashBoot core DLL file was reduced by 28%.
This update should fix the assertion failure 2051/JT9RU in version 2.1k. Previous versions could have this error too, but under different ID.
Version number "2.1l" skipped because of possible confusion with "2.11".
Changes in EBCD (v1.2b -> v1.2d) were backported to FlashBoot Password Editor.
Changes in EBCD (v1.2a -> v1.2b) were backported to FlashBoot Password Editor.
Changes in EBCD (v1.2 -> v1.2a) were backported to FlashBoot Password Editor.
FlashBoot installer for Windows XP now quickformats target disk.
Changes in EBCD (v1.1k -> v1.2) were backported to FlashBoot Password Editor.
Fixed a few bugs in the implementation of new features introduced in v2.1e ("unallocated space at the end of the disk" problem was fixed in this version).
- FlashBoot now can leave unallocated space at the end of formatted disk. You can create NTFS, EXT3 or any other partitions there if you have such requirements.
- Windows 7 is now mentioned along with Windows Vista in all GUI elements and CLI texts, so new users won't be confused about supported systems and conversion options.
- Builtins/FreeDOS scenario explicitly marked as tester to aid in product evaluation for new users.
Note for users of console version: ConvertWinVistaInstallCDorDVD scenario was renamed to ConvertWinVistaOr7InstallCDorDVD, almost all scenarios have new option: -reserve. Specify it as -reserve 0 if you want to keep status quo.
- FlashBoot now supports UDF filesystem (readonly). Windows Vista and Windows 7 installation DVD discs and image files now can be processed by FlashBoot without preconversion to ISO9660.
- "Support for UDF filesystem for CD/DVDs and image files" option removed from FlashBoot Next Feature Poll, being #1 and having 34.9% votes at the moment.
Added auto-adjustment of size of filesystem within wntsetup.img for Windows XP Installation CD Conversion scenario.
Old version (v1.4) was removed from website, as all users who had compatibility issues of v2.x with their BIOSes, have reported these issues were finally fixed in v2.1b.
More BIOS compatibility enhancements in FlashBoot Stage2 Loader.
BIOS compatibility enhancements in FlashBoot Stage2 Loader:
- INT13h handler, requests unrelated to USB bootdisk: made reenterable.
- INT13h handler, requests related to USB bootdisk: now has explicit reenterability guards.
- INT13h/AH=08h, requests unrelated to USB bootdisk, interclass disk remap case: now returns proper count of disks in its class.
- Added 'Self-testing... ' message for better debugging of BIOS hanging. Please report all such cases to firstname.lastname@example.org, include information about your motherboard/notebook model and BIOS version.
Fixed longstanding BIOS compatibility bug. Error occured when booting from FlashBoot-formatted USB disk and reads as:
LBA not available CHS not available Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot.
- Lenovo ThinkPad T500
- Lenovo ThinkPad T400
- Lenovo ThinkPad T42P
- Lenovo ThinkPad X201
- Lenovo ThinkPad W700ds
- Lenovo ThinkPad T410s
- Lenovo ThinkPad X201
- Lenovo ThinkPad X201s
- Lenovo Ideapad S10e
- IBM ThinkPad T42
- IBM ThinkPad X41 tablet
- Toshiba M40 300
- Toshiba SM30 164
- Toshiba Satellite A215-S7422
- Samsung N130
- Samsung N510
- Samsung NC10 (np-nc10-ka06nl)
- Dell Inspiron 910
- Dell Inspiron Mini 10 (1011)
- Dell Studio 1537
- Compaq Presario 2135 US
- Acer Aspire 1350
Demo bootability date interval changed from [d, d+30days] to [d-2days, d+30days] where d is a formatting date. Reason: compatibility with time zone differences between formatting and booting machine.
Fixed assertion failure 103/KC2WF which occured when raw-copying USB disk to USB disk of smaller size.
- DRP is now aligned for int13h backend access via LBA.
- Fixed assertion error in builtin password editor ported from EBCD.
Fixed a bug in FAT32 formatting code which caused 100GB+ partitions to appear as smaller ones in Windows.
Now FlashBoot Stage2 Loader can handle BIOSes which require disk reset (int 13h/ah=0) after each failed read or write.
Now FlashBoot Stage2 Loader can handle BIOSes which support slow single-sector I/O only.
This update should fix BIOS incompatibility problem which caused "LBA verification failed, falling back to CHS / disk error" message. See details in new section "Decoding Loader Messages" of the help file.
- Added support for USB devices which do not strictly conform to write-through requirements, i.e. reorder read/write requests and return prior block contents after writing.
- When write verification fails for USB device, detailed dump of 512-byte sector is written to log.
- ConvertWinXpInstallCDorDVD scenario: Size of FAT16 image file used for Windows XP setup extended from 700 MB to 900 MB to fit certain localized versions of Windows XP SP3.
- Size of USB and other disks is displayed with fractional part now.
- Fixed "assertion failed" error 1022/EH8UZ aka 1661/VK9MW ("C++ runtime error: invalid vector<T> subscript" in pre-2.0k versions).
- I/O errors are now appended to log.
- Progress window is forcibly redrawn before displaying error windows, so changed title and other window status changes should be visible now.
- Fixed a bug in a code which converts sizes and offsets to human-readable strings.
- Descriptions for I/O errors made more user-friendly.
When write verification fails for default 2 Mbyte block, FlashBoot silently tries to split the block into 64 Kbyte chunks and retry the write operation for each chunk before reporting error to the user.
Version number "2.0l" skipped because of visual ambiguity with "2.01"
Errors of out-of-bound access to std::vector<T> and std::basic_string<T> are now assertion failures with enough information to track them to source file name and line number.
Size of all storage devices except floppies and CD/DVD drives is now displayed along with drive letter and vendor/model name.
- BIOS compatibility improvements
- Bugfixes in 16-bit helper utility (Windows 2000/XP setup wrapper)
- Stage2 loader: Fixed probable cause of "disk error" in LBA mode under certain BIOSes which have DRP trashed after return from int 0x13/ah=0x42/43
- Raw copy scenario, target is image file: Assertion failure fixed
- Old stage2 loader printed frontend CHS geometry as backend CHS geometry and vice versa; now it prints CHS geometry in the right order.
- Portable version added
- Fixed a bug which prevented FlashBoot from accessing floppy disk drives. The error message was: "Failed to get length information for disk A:, Failed to get geometry information for disk A:"
- New FlashBoot prepends [Demo] to window title bar in demo mode.
- Minor UI enhancement: Title of the progress window changed to 'FlashBoot is creating non-bootable USB disk' for QuickFormat and Wipe scenarios (previous FlashBoot version displayed 'FlashBoot is creating bootable USB disk')
Raw copy scenario:
- Fixed non-reachability bug in GUI version (floppy-wrapping scenario was executed instead).
- Fixed somewhat disappointing trace messages in console version.
FlashBoot now prepends summary information (shown on the last wizard page) to the logfile.
Adobe Flash-driven screenshot gallery of Windows XP installation from FlashBoot-formatted USB thumbdrive added to website.
Bugfixes in BartPE conversion module
- FlashBoot starts faster now
- Added support for Windows XP SP3 in scenarios of recovery console extraction and BartPE conversion
- Bugfixes in logfile saving code
- URL on the first page of wizard made clickable
All x64-specific code moved to separate DLL, size of FlashBoot setup distribution effectively halved.
Fixed date conversion error which might occur at conversion of customized BartPE versions:
*** ERROR *** Failed to convert broken-down UTC time to time_t
When FlashBoot finishes formatting of USB disk, it issues soft replug to force Windows to rescan changed partition table. Unfortunately, some rare USB thumbdrives do not support soft replug. Formerly, FlashBoot printed error message like this:
Unmounting VFAT filesystem in partition #1 of physical disk #3 (E:) ... *** ERROR *** Failed to restart device USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_SanDisk&Prod_...: device restart required system reboot
Starting with version 2.0a, FlashBoot would issue warning rather than error in such situation. Warning message contains some instructions for user, aimed to explain better what it means and what should be done next. Warning message would be either
Unmounting VFAT filesystem in partition #1 of physical disk #3 (E:) ... *** WARNING for physical disk #3 (E:) *** Please DISCONNECT this USB disk from Windows and UNPLUG it.
- or -
Unmounting VFAT filesystem in partition #1 of physical disk #3 (E:) ... *** WARNING for physical disk #3 (E:) *** This USB disk was disconnected from Windows. Please UNPLUG AND PLUG IT BACK before using.
As before, vast majority of USB thumbdrives is processed without such warnings.
FlashBoot 2.0 is a major step forward towards improvement of the software and satisfying user needs. Its code was rewritten from the ground up since old version 1.4 released in 2006.
Here is a list of improvements:
- Full compatibility with Windows Vista and Windows 7, both x86 and x64 editions
- Support for USB disks larger than 4 GB (up to 2 TB)
- Support for conversion of Windows XP/Vista/7 installation CD to bootable USB disk
- Support for extraction of Windows XP recovery console to bootable USB disk
- Support for conversion of generic CD discs to bootable USB disks (operating system or boot loader of such generic CD disc must access boot device exclusively via BIOS API)
- Support for multiformat USB disks (FlashBoot 2 does not shift to user the burden of choice between "USB-ZIP" and "USB-HDD" anymore. There is one unified format, "Multiformat", and every USB disk is formatted by FlashBoot will work in all conditions: both USB-ZIP and USB-HDD. This is for sake of maximum compatibility.)
- Support for boot time mapping to either A: or C:, chosen by user at format time, not by machine-specific BIOS at boot time
- Support for explicit specification of USB disk CHS geometry by user at format time, not by machine-specific BIOS at boot time
- Greater BIOS and USB disk compatibility (explicit measures taken in order to support BIOSes which do not map USB boot disk to INT 13h devices 0 or 0x80; emulation of MBR track if it's stripped off by BIOS; FlashBoot loader always provides LBA and CHS disk access to USB disk for OS code).
- Autodetection of input CD/DVD/floppy/USB disk type. User does not have to make choice from long list of all possible disk types, it is detected automatically. But experienced user can override autodetection results and make choice from the full list.
- Less restrictive limitations of demo version (30-days bootability in V2 vs. one-time bootability in V1, 16 tries per physical USB disk in V2 vs. 10 tries per physical USB disk in V1)
- Full support for Unicode file names
- Command-line interface as alternative to GUI for users who need automation
- Improved old features (support for new SYSLINUX/ISOLINUX versions, BartPE, GRUB4DOS)
- Support for copying RAW, fixed-size image files to/from USB disks
- Support for full erase format (wipe) of USB disks
- Improved explanation for busy USB disks (reporting the full list of conflicting processes/windows)
- Improved error handling and reporting (especially for broken "silent-forgetter" flash memory cells)
- Better UI (more details, explicit warnings) to prevent unintended formatting of wrong USB disk from multiple plugged ones or USB HDD instead of USB Flash disk.
- NT password editor is now integrated to FlashBoot, end user does not have to download any additional third-party files to use this feature.
All users who ordered FlashBoot V1 can upgrade to FlashBoot V2 free of charge, just by coping license key file to installation folder of FlashBoot V2.
Click here to view old changelog of FlashBoot V1